The QuickBooks error -6144, -82 is an error that happens in the QuickBooks Desktop software due to incorrect configuration of the system settings. The QuickBooks error -6144 -82 can also occur due to some types of bizarre irregularities in the Windows registry. Well, the frustrating thing about this error is that you cannot access the company file which is used by another application. Also, you will not be able to perform any kind of task on your server. This surely is enough to bring all your important work to halt.
No worries though. We will help you to solve error 6144 82 QuickBooks through this article. You just have to follow all the methods one by one until you find out the one that suits you the best. Also, we will learn in-depth about this error, its causes, and most importantly the different ways to resolve this particular error.
So, without any further delay let’s begin.
What are the causes of QuickBooks error code 6144 82?
Just like other errors of QuickBooks, we can never determine the exact cause of this error. This is because there are a large number of possible reasons that can give birth to this error. So, we will just look at them all together. You are the one who has to choose what’s your case. Let’s see them one by one.
- This error may take place due to improper firewall settings.
- The transaction log file may have gone corrupted. It can also be damaged or broken.
- Your system can be under malware or a virus attack.
- The .nd file which consists of the network data support might be damaged.
- Another reason could be that you do not have the permissions to set up the sharing of the company files.
- There could also be some kind of network issue.
What are the indications of QuickBooks error 6144 82?
You can identify this error using many of these signs. Also, it is possible that you have encountered multiple numbers of these signs. Let’s have a look at them.
- You may have experienced that your windows operating system is running slowly.
- Your commands are getting a delay in response.
- You will come across an error message that states We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- There is a chance that you may get an error message with QuickBooks error code 6144 82 on your screen.
- The QuickBooks software is not working properly.
- Now, that we know the causes and signs of this error. It is time for us to understand the solutions that can rectify the QuickBooks error 6144 82. So, let’s have a look at them.
Methods To Troubleshoot error 6144 82 QuickBooks
These are very dynamic ways to solve this error. There are multiple ways to solve this error and they have been consolidated here. So, you have to try out each solution till you find the right one. Also, it is recommended that you create a backup of your data to avoid any kind of information loss. So, here are the solutions.
Solution 1: Setting up the QuickBooks user permission
There could be a problem with your user permission. You just have to deal with them to resolve this issue. Here is how you can do that.
- First of all, log in to your QuickBooks Desktop software.
- On the upper right corner, you will see the option of the company. Just click on that.
- After doing that you will find the option of Set Up Users and Roles on your screen. Select that as well.
- Enter the password and select a username from the given list of usernames.
- Now, just select the user permission that you desire to give.
- Finally, check if the error still exists or not.
Solution 2: Renaming the TLG and nd files
In this method, you are required to rename the TLG and nd files to the .old extension. Here is how you can do that.
- You will have to launch the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Now, press the F2 key.
- Here, you have to get the details regarding the location of the company files. Now, choose the file in which all the company files are situated.
- You have to choose all the files that end with the extension of .tlg and .nd, right-click on them.
- Choose the rename option and then rename them to .old
- You have to do the same process for all the .tlg and .nd files.
- Finally, log in to QuickBooks and check if the error is still there or not.
Solution 3: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub and file doctor
The QuickBooks file doctor is a very tremendous tool that can easily detect and fix most of the company file issue. Follow these steps to execute this procedure.
- Simply download the QuickBooks tool hub software and install it.
- Now, launch the tool and go to the company file issues tab.
- Here, you will see the option of run QuickBooks file doctor.
- Just select this option and the scan will start.
- This will automatically detect the issues that are concerning the QuickBooks company files.
- Wait till the scan is completed. Later, check the presence of the error.
Solution 4: Repairing the Windows registry
When you repair the windows registry, the errors like this will also get eliminated. So, you have to follow these instructions to do so.
- Open the command prompt and then press the CTRL key, Shift key, and hit the Enter key simultaneously.
- A dialogue box will pop up. You have to press yes.
- In the black box, you now have to type in Regedit and hit enter.
- Navigate to the registry editor section. Search for the option that is pertinent to 6144 82.
- Now, you are supposed to select the file menu and then choose the option of export.
- You will have to select a folder, where you desire to keep the key of QuickBooks.
- Finally, save the name of the folder with the .reg extension.
This is how you rectify this QuickBooks error. Hopefully, we could help you out in resolving this error. Do check out our other QuickBooks related articles. They will surely be helpful to you. Also Read, How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15227.