QuickBooks has never failed to help businesses manage their finances. With such advanced features, there is a requirement for backup of those important files as keeping those data safe is extremely crucial for both the company and the user. So, if you’re a QuickBooks user, you might be perplexed about how to backup QuickBooks desktop? Then you are at the right place. In this article, we will dig deep into the process of backing up the company files in QuickBooks.
Determine How To Backup QuickBooks Desktop
Before we get into the effective methods for backup the QuickBooks company files, it’s important to understand which data can and cannot be backed up.
However, keep in mind that you can back up data related to your chart of accounts.
Here is a list of data that you can and cannot back up.
Company file data that can be backed up
|Transaction data||List data||Other data|
Company file data that can’t be backed up
The QuickBooks is unable to back up the company file, is listed below:
- QuickBooks Online Payments Information
- Customer types and pricing policies
- Credits and charges that are late (although associated invoices are backed up)
- Transactions that repeat themselves
- Bank feeds, as well as their connections to transactions and bank rules
- Reports on reconciliation
- Billable expenses based on accounts
- Billable expenses based on items with a markup
- Reports made to order
- Form templates that are custom made
- Entries in the audit log
Learn which data you are unable to restore:
When you try to restore the data files, you can restore everything except:
- Firstly, budgets must be exported as a CSV file.
- Secondly, Inventory. However, it does not includes the inventory history and inventory adjustments.
- Thirdly, tax rates are calculated using expense accounts, and the online backup and restore app restores them to liability accounts.
How to Backup QuickBooks Desktop?- Effective Methods
If you are wondering how to backup company files in QuickBooks, then you must keep in mind that backing up company files saves everything that is currently present in the company file including the accounting data, templates, letters, logos, images, and various other related files.
However, it should be noted that the payroll forms are not backed up. However, you have two options for backing up your data: either manually or automatically.
Method 1: Configure QuickBooks Automatic Backups
The following are simple steps to take an easy backup of your data in QuickBooks and solve the problem of Quickbooks unable to back up company files:
- Switch to the single-user mode by opening the File Menu.
- Select Save Copy or backup company, and then create a local backup.
- Once you’ve decided on a backup copy, click Next.
- Select Options to configure the backup defaults, and then click Next.
- To determine the files, you must look for and note the date and time of the file backups. You can also restrict the number of backup copies generated by checking the box and entering a value to limit the number of backups made for each organization.
- To receive reminders to create backups, checkmark the box remind me to back up when I close my company file every time, and set a frequency.
- Before saving the changes, always click on the options for verifying the data. Skip this step if you want the process to go faster, but it is recommended that you enable it so that you receive alert messages whenever there is damage to the file. You will be presented with the following options: Complete verification, faster verification, and no verification.
- When the backup options window appears on the screen, you should click on browse and then select a location to save the copy.
- Select the Change Location tab or Use this Location, then click Next.
- Save it now and schedule future backups, or just schedule future backups and then hit Next.
- After that, you must choose the option Save backup copy automatically when I close my company files every time.
- Now, in the field, enter a number and press the Finish button.
Method 2: Configure QuickBooks Schedule Backups
- Open the file and select Save Copy or Backup. When you’re finished, a backup wizard will appear.
- Select Backup copy and then click Next.
- Select Options to set backup defaults, and then click Next.
- The next step will be to select Only Schedule Future Backups and then Next.
- Now navigate to the Backup on a schedule section and click it.
- You must provide a description of the scheduled backup you are creating.
- You must also look for folders where you want to save backup copies.
- Select the Number of backup copies to keep the checkbox and enter a number.
- After that, click on Store Passwords, then Store Windows Passwords, and then enter your Windows login information.
- Set the backup date, weekly frequency, and so on.
- Once you’ve decided, click on it.
Method 3: Adding Backup Reminders to QuickBooks
Because of your hectic schedule, you may forget to make a backup of your data. You can also schedule backup reminders to spare yourself from such a circumstance. The following are the techniques for configuring QuickBooks backup reminders.
- Navigate to the File menu and select Save Copy or backup.
- Select backup copy and then press the Next button.
- After that, select Options.
- After that, you will come across the field. Tell us where you want to keep your backup copies, and then navigate to the directory where you want to save the backup files.
- After that, select Remind me to back up when closing data every time and then enter a number in the field as needed.
- After that, select Add the backup’s time and date to the file name box and press the OK button.
Method 4: Manually backup company file
In case, you have a question about how to backup QuickBooks desktop, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Locate to the File menu and select Switch to single-user mode.
- Return to the File menu and hover on the backup company. The option to establish a local backup should then be chosen.
- Choose local backup and then press the Next button.
- Select the browse option in the local backup only section, as well as the place for saving the backup.
- Determine the number of backups you want to keep. Also, keep in mind that this is not a required step.
- Setting backup reminders using the options in the online and local backup sections is suggested.
- Perform a test to confirm that the backup file is in good condition.
- Now press the OK button.
- Make sure to select the save it now option and then click the next button.
Method 5: Changing the backup settings
Go to the File menu and then hover over the backup company to find out when you last backed up the company file. Then, at the top of the menu, you’ll notice the time and date.
To make any changes to the backup preferences, follow the procedures below:
- Hover over the backup company and select the file.
- Select the option to build a local backup.
- The following step is to choose options.
- Make the necessary adjustments and then click the OK button.
- Finally, you have a backup company file from which you may restore your QuickBooks company file. This file has the extension.qbb at the end of its name.
Please note that if you keep your backup company files on an external device or a hosting service like Box, you may need to copy them to your local hard drive before you can restore them.
An essential aspect to remember is that if QuickBooks finds a company file with the same name in the same folder, it will prompt you to replace the existing file. In such a case, you must avoid replacing the original file, or else the old file will be erased.
The ways mentioned above are the simple ways to back up your company files. In case, users have questions like how to backup QuickBooks desktop, they can refer this article for their perusal. However, if you have any issues backing up the data files, you can connect with the technical team for further assistance.