Intuit believes in perfectionism, maybe that’s why they try so hard to keep things in the perfect order. Quickbooks is a perfect epitome of how ideal an accounting software should be. Even after so much zeal and effort there always comes some thorns in the path. Such an obstacle is the Quickbooks error 6189. It is also known as Quickbooks error -6189,-816. Well, don’t get all worried after seeing these huge numbers on your screen. It’s just a gimmick that can get on your nerves, but it is not as critical as it seems. At least not after when you are finished with this post.
Here we will discuss every subtle detail about the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. Vividly about what the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 is, what causes Quickbooks error 6189 816, and much importantly how to eradicate this error.
But, first things first. Before understanding about this error you would like to know what Quickbooks is. Quickbooks is high-level accounting software designed for all kinds of business needs by Intuit. Quickbooks can single-handedly deal with all of your financial data, it can update payrolls, make statistical reports and even deal with your tax information. It can also keep track of real-time business situations and can calculate market trends. So, clearly, it is the finest cloud-based accounting technology available.
Because Quickbooks is such a high player, it even has the solutions to the errors that are annoying the users. For errors like Quickbooks error 6189 and 816, it has special tools as well. We will see everything and will quickly resolve this issue of yours. So, without any delay let’s get straight into it.
Brief about Quickbooks error 6189 and 816
Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 is a run-time error that causes havoc whenever you try to open a company file in the Quickbooks software. It can also happen while you try to access the multi-user mode in Quickbooks. Although it has a pretty detailed error message, some people still find it difficult to understand the root causes of the Quickbooks error 6189 816. Can’t blame them either, it is a tricky error and most of us don’t know to eradicate it. That’s exactly why we will solve it together in no time. In order to do that we must know what causes the Quickbooks error 6189. Let’s head on to that first.
What causes Quickbooks error 6189 and 816
This error can happen due to numerous reasons. Here are them in a nutshell.
- The error can occur if you try to open a Quickbooks file that is already being accessed by another user in another workstation.
- If you download a corrupted or invalid Quickbooks software.
- If the installation of Quickbooks Desktop is not done properly.
- When you try to access a folder or file for which you don’t have read or write permission.
- Incorrect entries in the windows registry because of improper installation.
- Any malware or virus has attacked the QB files.
- Your antivirus can also create a blockade. This will give rise to the error 6189 and 816.
- Another possibility is that there is a difference between the exchange log record(.TLG) and the Quickbooks organization document(.QBW)
- It is also possible that some other users logged into the file in single-user mode.
- This error may also arise if you are using an outdated version of windows. Pirated copy of Windows can also create an error 6189.
- If you accidentally delete the drivers from your system. These drivers might be responsible for the smooth functioning of Quickbooks software.
How to resolve Quickbooks error 6189 and 816
To fix this error there are a number of ways. We will discuss all these methods in detail. It is important to note that the user has to do all of them one by one until they find the right solutions for themselves. Also, you have to perform these steps carefully to avoid any kind of chaos. You have to create a backup in order to avoid data loss.
Method 1: Quickbooks Tool Hub to resolve Quickbooks error 6189 and 816
Quickbooks Tool Hub has a solution to almost all the errors occurring in the Quickbooks Desktop software. That’s exactly why it is called the ultimate repairing tool of Quickbooks Desktop. So, to rectify Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 you will have to carry out the following steps.
Step1: Installing the tool Hub
- The very initial step is to close all the Quickbooks windows and tabs.
- Now, you have to download Quickbooks Tool Hub from the official website of Intuit.
- Remember to save the file in such a location where you can find it easily.
- After the download, you have to open the file and then start the installation.
- To complete the installation you just have to follow the instructional installation window.
- Once the installation is complete you have to launch the Quickbooks tool hub.
Step2: Fixing the error with the Quickbooks tool hub
- When you launch the Quickbooks tool hub yow will see a window like this.
- It is the home page of the Quickbooks Tool Hub.
- Now, from here you have to choose the tab of Program problems.
- Here you have to select the Quick fix my program option.
- When the process is over, you have to open the Quickbooks file and check whether the error still persists or not.
After completing the entire method you have to check the error. If it still exists then you would want to try the next method.
Method 2: Restarting your computer to fix Quickbooks error 6189 and 816
In most cases, the errors are rectified just by resetting their workstation. This might sound trivial to you but it is really effective. Let’s see how to do it.
- Restart the computer on which the company file is actually situated.
- After that restart all the workstations.
- Now, after doing this you have to open the Quickbooks desktop on your computer. Then open it on all other workstations.
This will most probably demolish the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816.
Method 3: Updating the Quickbooks Desktop
You might come across this error if you are using an older version of Quickbooks. What happens is that when you use the older version of Quickbooks, certain features are not updates. As it is vital to keep all the tools inside Quickbooks updated you have to update the version of Quickbooks to the latest one available on Intuit‘s official website. After updating the software you have to check if the error still persists or not.
Method 4: Use Quickbooks Database Server Manager
If you are using the company file on the server computer then you have the option of using Quickbooks Database Server Manager. This tool will do miracles by rectifying the errors caused because of the instability of multi-user mode.
- The initial step is to open Quickbooks Tool Hub.
- In the tool hub, you will see an option of opening Quickbooks Database Server Manager.
- Now, after clicking on the option you will see the window of Quickbooks Database Server Manager. You have to locate the company file and then you have to click on Start Scan.
- If you are not being able to locate the file, you also have the option of browsing.
- When the scan is completed, Quickbooks Database Server Manager will automatically resolve the firewall issue and permissions by itself.
- After the very completion of the scan, you have to click on close.
- Finally, check if the error persists in all your workstations.
Method 5: Renaming of Network Data file and Transaction Log file
The network data file (ND) and the Transaction log file(TLF) both are configuration files that allow Quickbooks to enable Multi-user mode. If these files get broken, damaged, or corrupted then Quickbooks error -6189 will occur for sure.
These files will get recreated automatically when it is scanned by the Quickbooks Database Server Manager. By renaming the files there is a broad change that can take place in terms of Quickbooks errors. You can try renaming the ND and TLG file, then you can check if the error still persists or not.
- This is how you can rename the ND and TLG file.
- First, you have to open the folder that contains the company file.
- Now you have to locate the file named company_file.qbw.nd and company_file.qbw.tlg
- You have to right-click on both files separately and then select the option of rename.
After completing this process you have to launch Quickbooks desktop and check if the error still exists or not.
Method 6: Storage of Quickbooks Company Data File
You always have to store the company file on your local hard disc. If you store it in an external hard disc then it is obvious that you will definitely face this type of issue. Also, note that this error will persist if you are using Quickbooks file as an online backup file. It is a good practice to store the company file on the desktop of your windows.
Method 7: Checking the Quickbooks DataServiceUse Permission
For the version of Quickbooks installed in your system, you will have to check the permission granted for the QBDataServiceUser. After that, you have to copy the file and save it to your windows desktop. If the file gets opened then the problem was with the folder location. The folder where the QB file was saved.
Method 8: Repairing the file using File doctor
You can use a mind-blowing software called Quickbooks file doctor to resolve this issue. Quickbooks file doctor is a tool within the Quickbooks Tool Hub that is capable of resolving errors like Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. To do this you have to open the Quickbooks tool hub and then click on company files. Here you will see a button of Run Quickbooks file doctor. This will start a scan and if there exists any issue with the data of the company file. This will most probably resolve the problem with your company file.
Hopefully, your error is resolved after completing these processes. These methods are of high quality and caliber. These will definitely help in resolving your error. It is recommended that you perform all these steps carefully one by one to get great results. Certain other Quickbooks Errors such as QB Error 179, 404, etc. can also occur while working on Quickbooks. You can either troubleshoot these errors manually.
Also, if your error still persists then you have to contact the customer care support of Intuit. The highly competent team will definitely help in resolving this error of yours.