No matter how much you try to make accounting software impeccable, there are still going to be some errors. This is because it is still software. There is always room for error. Well, Intuit is always on the urge to bring improvements to the Quickbooks Desktop software. They are succeeding too. Even after so much hard work, users still have to face some errors. One error that Quickbooks users deal with is the QuickBooks Error code 12031.
The Quickbooks update error 12031, as you can depict from its name is a payroll update error. This error can be a frustrating error for you. Anyway, if you are looking for the answers to this error. You will find everything right here, from head to toe.
We will discuss in detail about this error. Its causes, symptoms, and most importantly the solutions to the error 12031 QuickBooks update. So, without making any delay, let’s get straight into it!
Quickbooks Error 12031 explained
This error takes place when you try to refresh the Quickbooks desktop software. It can also occur while refreshing the payroll services in Quickbooks. There are several causes behind this error but mainly the pertinent issues are firewall and internet settings.
Let’s have a look at the causes briefly.
What are the causes of QB error 12031?
We have listed all the causes of Error 12031 Quickbooks here. You can check them out to avoid this error from happening in the future.
- The firewall might be blocking the functioning of Quickbooks.
- Your internet connection could be weak.
- third-party antivirus could be causing havoc.
- Improper SSL settings can also lead to this error.
Now that we know about this error and its causes, it is time for us to figure out the solutions to this error. Let’s see them.
How to fix Quickbooks update error 12031?
You must follow each method until you find the solutions that work out for your case. Also, create a backup of your company files to avoid data loss.
Solution 1: Quickbooks Connection Diagnostic tool
This is a dynamic tool that is capable of fixing the Quickbooks connection issues.
- First of all, download the Quickbooks connection diagnostic tool.
- Next, install it by clicking on the downloaded file and following the on-screen instructions.
- Launch the tool by clicking the desktop icon.
- In the test connectivity section, select the option to browse. You can find it beside the company files bar.
- Simply select the company file in which you were having the issue.
- Hit the Test Connectivity button.
- The repair will start immediately. You just have to wait till it is done.
Solution 2: Setup Internet Connection
- To do this, open the Quickbooks desktop application on your computer.
- Now, click the help tab from the upper pane.
- Select Internet Connection setup.
- Next, you have to choose the option named “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet”.
- After that click on the Next button. Finally, click Done.
- You will have to update your Quickbooks software if you have not done that already.
Solution 3: Rename the Network data file
- Initially, you have to open the folder in which the Quickbooks company file is located.
- Here, you spot the ND file. It is easy to locate this file because it will have a .nd file extension.
- Next, simply right click the Network Data file and select the rename option.
- Put old in the name of the file. For example comanyfilename.qbw.nd.old
Solution 4: Update Quickbooks
If you already process the latest version of Quickbooks. You can skip this solution. Otherwise, here you can see how to download and install the latest version of Quickbooks. It is important to upgrade your Qb software because has many bug fixes which in turn can solve your issues.
- Firstly, launch Quickbooks desktop. Now, choose the help menu.
- Now, click on Update Quickbooks.
- A list will appear in front of you. You have to select the latest version from this list.
- Restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Solution 5: Cease Third-party applications
Third-party applications like the antivirus tend to block the working of Quickbooks. This is because antivirus considers the basic functions of Quickbooks as malicious. So, you either have to disable the third-party application or you have to uninstall it till this error is rectified.
Solution 6: Update your windows
Windows update has a lot of bug fixes and additional features in it. So, it is important that you update your windows operating system.
Solution 7: Configure SSL AND TLS
These settings are very crucial for the connectivity of Quickbooks. To do this, first of all, open up internet explorer. Next, open internet options. navigate to the advanced tab on the upper pane. Modify the TLS and SSL settings as per the image given below. Finally, hit Ok.
The fixes of this error have been discussed in detail in this article. Hopefully, they were useful in eradicating your error. Do check out Methods to Troubleshoot Quickbooks Error 77.
Also, if you still couldn’t resolve this error. It is recommended that you contact the customer care support of Quickbooks. They can easily rectify this error for you.