It is no denying that QuickBooks works flawlessly. But, some errors and issues still halt the software to aid the user in tackling business-oriented tasks. Well, QuickBooks won’t open is one of the issues. It occurs in different names “QuickBooks desktop doesn’t start”, “stuck on loading screen”, “not responding”, or “has stopped working”.
The users cannot figure out the solutions on their own. That’s the reason behind creating this guide. QuickBooks leads to business productivity by providing aids in creating invoices, managing sales, and tracking finances. But, these kinds of issues bring a full stop to all the ongoing procedures by crashing the window.
You may again receive the repeated response “QuickBooks won’t open” after launching the QB software. So, make sure to troubleshoot the error as soon as possible. For that, you need to first examine all the factors triggering this issue.
Possible reasons for QuickBooks won’t open?
Some of the reasons behind QuickBooks won’t open company files are mentioned below.
- Your company name could be very long.
- There is a chance that the hard drive you are using is corrupted.
- Improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop.
- The QBWUSER.INI file could be damaged.
- The operating system could be outdated.
Symptoms that Indicate the Presence of QuickBooks Won’t Open Error
- Your QB software keeps freezing.
- The QuickBooks company file doesn’t open.
- The Windows operating runs very slow.
- Your computer screen gets hung every now and then.
- Another indication is that your computer does not respond on time to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
We know the cause and symptoms of this error, it is time for us to understand the solutions to this error.
Solutions of QuickBooks Not Open issue
These are the solutions to this error. Perform them each one by one carefully. Also, create a backup of your vital files to avoid any kind of data loss.
Solution 1: Shut down the QBW32.exe process
- To do this, First of all, right-Click on the Windows taskbar and then choose the Start Task Manager option.
- Select the Process tab. Now, you have to click on the Image Name header. This will organize the processes alphabetically.
- You have to spot and select EXE.
- Finally, select End Process to shut down the QBW32 .exe process.
Solution 2: Rename the QBWUSER.ini. file
- You will have to access the folder where ini file is located. In case you are not being able to trace it then simply enable hidden folders and file.
- After spotting the QBWUSER.ini.file select the Rename option.
- You will have to type Insert.old in the last file name.
- Now rename the ecml.file. You can now check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Solution 3: Repress QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- The initial step is to right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Hold the CTRL key and choose Open. Press the Ctrl key until the No Company Open window pops up.
- Next, open QuickBooks desktop normally and check if the error persists or not. If it does then move on to the next solution.
Solution 4: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
- Simultaneously hold on to the Ctrl +Alt + Del keys on your keyboard.
- Choose the Task Manager option.
- You have to select the Process tab.
- Simply, Right-Click on any of the QuickBooks processes.
- You have to hit the End Process button.
- You will notice a confirmation process. Now, in this select end all processes.
- Restart QuickBooks again.
- This time click on Repair QuickBooks.
Solution 5: Create a new Windows Admin User
- Firstly, open the Control Panel and simply navigate through it.
- You have to double click the User Account option then choose Manage User. Now click on Add.
- After doing this, type in the name and domain of the administrator. Hit the Ok button.
- If using Windows 10 then select Administrator.
- Finally, click on Finish. You will be navigated to the User Accounts dialogue box. Here, Click OK.
Solution 6: Restart the Desktop
You can try restarting your computer. Sometimes the previous changes and updates are not saved. By restarting your computer, you can easily establish these changes.
After the restart, check if the error still exists or not.
Solution 7: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
You can use the very powerful repair package named QuickBooks tool hub to resolve this error. QuickBooks install diagnostic tool is an integrated tool within the tool hub. It runs and fixes the corrupted programs that come while installing QuickBooks.
- First of all, transfer and install the QuickBooks tool hub (most recent version 188.8.131.52).
- Now, open the tool hub.
- Go to the installation issues tab.
- Here you will see a button named QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- Click Ok.
- The tool will begin a scan to look at the matter. it’s going to automatically observe the matter, therefore, repair it.
- You just ought to sit back till the error is resolved.
Solution 8: Clean Install of QuickBooks
Several users end up with issues when the software is not installed properly. So, it is always recommended to conduct a clean installation of QuickBooks. So to do the clean installation of QB, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub.
- Now navigate to Installation issues.
- Click on the Quickbooks Clean Install Tool.
- The clean install will automatically subtract each and every QuickBooks connected file. It will then install the QuickBooks desktop software package.
Solution 9: Re-register QuickBooks-Related Components
If QuickBooks desktop doesn’t start yet then this solution would work. First of all, just examine if QB desktop is registered or not. Then, proceed ahead. So, let’s initiate with the steps:
- Open the QuickBooks software.
- Then, hit the F2 button.
- It will bring a Product Information window.
- Thereafter, try to examine the registration status.
- You can check it at the right corner of the license number.
You don’t have to conduct any other procedure if QuickBooks is shown as registered. However if not then try to register QuickBooks through these steps.
- Hit OK and close the opened Product Information window.
- Choose Help menu
- Tap Activate QuickBooks.
- Go through the prompts carefully to examine the information and activation process.
- Thereafter, run reboot.bat for the re-registration of these two files .DLL and .OCX.
Solution 10: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub has some incredible tools inside. You can take benefits from this to fix the issue. To download this, follow the steps below:
- Close the QuickBooks software.
- Try to download the QuickBooks tool hub (Version 184.108.40.206.).
- Save the file on a desktop folder.
- So, it will take lesser time to find the file.
- Now, just open the same file saved as QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Check out the instructions and conduct them carefully to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After completing this procedure, launch the QuickBooks tool hub file.
- You can pick any of the issues tab to resolve QuickBooks won’t open through different tools.
Solution 11: Rename .ND and .TLG Files
- Access to the folder which you use for storing QuickBooks company files.
- Thereafter, find out.ND and.TLG files.
- Also, right-click on the latter file to pick Rename option.
- Change the name as [company file name] OLD.qbw.TLG.
- Try to rename the other file too by using the same method.
- Next, just access the QB file.
We hope that QuickBooks has been successfully started and you are not facing the error. It is obvious for software like QuickBooks to get corrupted with some glitches and bugs. But, as a user, we all should take proper care of the software by initializing quick scans of the company files and folders.
The error would be definitely gone once you started the use of the QuickBooks tool hub for frequent scans of the software. Also, Make sure to drop your queries below if you have anything else to ask.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is QuickBooks not responding?
If your QuickBooks is not opening then it might be happened due to the reasons provided below:
- Not installing QuickBooks in a proper manner.
- Corrupted hard disk.
- Installing and using an outdated OS.
- Or, missing QBWUSER.INI file.
2. Why does QuickBooks stop Working?
The outdated operating system could take shape the QuickBooks won’t open in Windows 10. So, make sure to update it by finding the newest release on your system. You can also enable automatic updates to work flawlessly on the device.
3. How to handle QuickBooks won’t open Error?
The solutions provided below will help you to fix QuickBooks won’t open the company file. So, make sure to conduct:
- Renaming of QBWUSER.INI file
- QuickBooks Desktop repair
- Make a New Windows User
- Shut down the QBW32.exe process
4. Which tools should I use for QuickBooks won’t open errors in multi-user mode?
- QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
- Clean install tool
- QuickBooks tool hub
5. What to do if QuickBooks freezes up?
If QuickBooks is not responding then conduct these steps provided below:
- Click on the File.
- Choose Utilities.
- Thereafter, click on Rebuild Data.
- Hit OK.
- Again, click OK when rebuilding gets finished.
- After that, hit File
- Choose Utilities.
- Also, choose Verify Data.
- A new window will pop up with the error if you find any other issue.