Updating your Payroll in QuickBooks can be a benefit for a number of reasons. Perhaps you’re looking to reconcile your books more easily, or you want to ensure that your employees are being paid correctly. While downloading, installing, or updating the payroll if you come across the QuickBooks Error PS058, this article will help.
This error can be caused by a variety of different factors, such as problems with your Internet connection or QuickBooks software. Here, we will explore the causes and solutions for QuickBooks Error PS058 and provide you with some tips on how to prevent this error from occurring in the future. Let’s begin
Table of Contents
Causes of QuickBooks Payroll Error PS058
Here is a list of all the causes that might be responsible for the prevalence of QuickBooks error code “ps058”:
- Employee Identification Number (EIN) was saved incorrectly
- Corrupted Windows Explorer files
- Windows Firewall is misconfigured
- Having problems with your QuickBooks company file
- Payroll key or membership dormant
- It is not possible to access your QB company files locally
Easy Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error PS058
To easily fix the QuickBooks payroll error PS058, you can follow the best solutions mentioned below.
Note: Make sure you backup your company file before you begin the troubleshooting process.
Downloading the Latest Software Update
You can download the latest update available from the web and fix the error in Quickbooks ps058.
- Firstly, you need to download the patch file ‘qbwebpatch.exe’ from the QuickBooks website.
- Next, you have to make sure that your computer is connected to the internet so that the patch file can be downloaded properly.
- Then, you need to copy the downloaded file to the computer on which QuickBooks is installed.
- Finally, install the patch file and update your tax file from CD/Flash Drive.
Downloading Payroll Updates
You can download the payroll update again to fix the QuickBooks error PS058 by following the steps below.
- From the QuickBooks Help menu, select “Employees” and then “Get payroll updates.”
- Click on the “Download Entire Update” checkbox. Hit “Download Latest Update.”
- Install the downloaded update.
- Restart QuickBooks and try updating your payroll again.
If the error persists, it is recommended that you go for the solutions below.
Using the Reboot.bat File
- Right-click on the Windows icon present in the taskbar of your computer screen and select ‘Task Manager’ from the pop-up menu.
- In the ‘Processes’ tab, find and select the ‘reboot.bat’ file.
- Once you have selected the file, click on the ‘End Task’ button present at the bottom right corner of the ‘Processes’ tab.
- After ending the task, restart your computer and try opening QuickBooks again to check if the error has been resolved. If not, then you can try other methods mentioned below to fix this issue.
Check for QuickBooks Payroll Error PS058
- Use the F2 key or the Ctrl+1 keys to open the Product Information window.
- In the Product Information window, use the F3 key or the Ctrl+2 keys to go to the Tech Help window.
- In the Tech Help window, click Open File.
- If there is a file named qbwin.log, double-click on it.
- A small window will open. Use the Ctrl+F keys to open a Find function. In the Find field, type Error and hit Enter.
- You will be taken to the first instance of the word Error in the document. Look for a numerical error code next to it – this will be your QuickBooks error code. You can look up what this error code means on Intuit’s website.
If you can’t find the error code in the qbwin.log file, you can try opening the QuickBooks installation folder and looking for a file called QBWDEBUG.LOG. This file will also contain information on any errors that have occurred in your QuickBooks file.
Updating QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release
If you are using an outdated version of QuickBooks, then it is quite likely that you will face different kinds of errors including the QuickBooks error PS058. Therefore, it is recommended that you update your QuickBooks software to the latest release. You can fix the error code ps058 with QuickBooks update by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the ‘Help’ menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘Update QuickBooks’.
- In the ‘Update QuickBooks Desktop’ window, click on the ‘Options’ tab.
- Now, select ‘Mark All’ and then click on ‘Save’.
- Close the Update QuickBooks Desktop window and restart your computer. QuickBooks will now automatically update itself to the latest release. Once the process is completed, try opening QuickBooks again and check if the error still persists.
Scanning Your Computer for Viruses and Malware
If you suspect that the QuickBooks error PS058 is caused by a virus or malware infection, you can try scanning your computer with a reliable antivirus or anti-malware program. This will help eliminate any malicious files that may be causing the error.
There are many different antivirus and anti-malware programs available, so you’ll need to choose one that’s compatible with your operating system and personal preferences. Once you’ve selected a program, follow the instructions on how to run a scan of your computer. This process can take some time, so be patient and let it finish.
Once the scan is complete, restart your computer and try opening QuickBooks again. If the error persists, move on to the next method.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop
If you are still unable to fix the QuickBooks error ps058, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- First, you need to uninstall QuickBooks from your computer. To do this, go to the Control Panel and then select “Add or Remove Programs”. From the list of programs, select QuickBooks and then click on “Remove”.
- After QuickBooks has been successfully uninstalled from your computer, you can proceed with the installation process. First, you need to download QuickBooks from the Intuit website. Once the download is complete, run the file to start the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. Once QuickBooks is installed, you can then try to open your company file and see if the error still persists.
Repairing QuickBooks Desktop Via Command Prompt (For Windows 10/8 Users Only)
- To open the Command Prompt, press the Windows logo key + X on your keyboard, then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu that appears.
- At the command prompt, type in sfc /scannow and press Enter. This will scan all of your system files and repair any that are corrupted or missing.
- Once the scan is complete, restart your computer and try opening QuickBooks again.
Although the QuickBooks error PS058 may seem complex, it is important to remember that you are not alone and there are many resources available to help you resolve it. Hopefully, you find our article helpful in resolving this payroll error. Make sure to bookmark us as we provide the tried and tested solutions for QuickBooks-related errors.