QuickBooks Error 12002 is an error that emerges if the users are trying to install the latest version of payroll updates. While the user is still attempting to resolve the error code 12002, QuickBooks prompts them to upgrade their payroll software. However, this error arises due to many factors, including wrong internet explorer settings and firewall configuration. However, Intuit recommends checking the Internet Explorer settings to rectify this error code 12002.
In this article, we have mentioned a brief overview of QuickBooks Error 12002, different factors that cause this error, and many more. Read on and get all your resolutions easily.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks Error 12002?
QuickBooks payroll is an online solution that requires a working internet connection to obtain the most up-to-date payroll tax information for payroll processing.
When the internet connection fails or QuickBooks is not able to use the internet connection for whatever reason, a range of error codes is merely shown, including:
- QuickBooks error code 12002,
- QB error 12057,
- Error code 12029, and
- Code 12007 QuickBooks
Although, this issue appears in the QuickBooks update window and occasionally in the QuickBooks update error window.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12002
It is necessary to know the causes of error 12002 QuickBooks as it will assist you in determining the specific source of the issue. However, the following is the list of all known causes of this payroll update error :
- Fault in Internet Explorer settings configuration.
- QuickBooks is unable to connect to secure websites due to Windows Firewall protection.
- Incorrect SSL settings can also lead to QuickBooks error code 12002.
- You haven’t made Internet Explorer your default browser yet.
- Errors occurred during the installation of the QuickBooks Desktop.
Possible Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error 12002
Although there are several ways to fix QuickBooks update error 12002, however, the major ones are as below:
Solution 1: Check the Internet Connection
- Open the QuickBooks program and select Help.
- To check the Internet Connection setup, click on it.
- Check that the connection is set up to use the internet connection on your computer.
- After that, hit the Next and then click Done.
- Check to see whether the error has been addressed.
Solution 2: Configure Internet Explorer again
- Close QuickBooks & launch Internet Explorer.
- Select Internet Options by choosing the Tools menu.
- Pick the security setting by ensuring that it is set on the medium-high.
- Choose the content tab by hitting the globe icon.
- Check that the button of the content advisor is surely enabled.
- Hit the Connection tab & follow the outlined steps.
- If you do not utilize a dial-up node on the system, choose Never Dial a Connection.
- Moreover, if you utilize the dial-up node, select the relevant ISP and hit OK.
- Also, click on the LAN settings.
- Then, enable the checkbox of settings of Automatically Detect if it is not.
- Disable utilizing a Proxy Server now.
- Uncheck the port 80 box boxes if you see it.
- At last, Click OK.
- Select the Advanced tab and then proceed as in the following steps:
- Hit the option of Restore Advanced Settings.
- Then, navigate Utilize TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, & TLS 1.2.
- Also, check that Utilize TLS 1.0 selected and all other options are left unchecked
- After that, close Internet Explorer & hit OK.
- Now, you need to start your computer again.
- Lastly, Relaunch QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Update QuickBooks
- Navigate to the Help menu and hit Internet Connection Setup.
- Then, checkmark the box next to “Use my computer’s internet connection settings to establish a connection when this program accesses the internet.”
- Then press Next.
- After that, update QuickBooks once again by doing the following steps:
- For QuickBooks 2006 and earlier versions, go to File > Update > Update Now.
- Moreover, for QuickBooks 2008 and subsequent versions: Choose File > Update > Update Now from the menu.
Solution 4: Add QuickBooks to the Windows Firewall Exception Port
- Click the Windows Start button and enter Windows Firewall in the Search Programs and Files box.
- At the top of the list, select Windows Firewall.
- In the left pane, navigate to Advanced Settings and then right-click Inbound Rules.
- Select New Rule and then the appropriate Port.
- Click Next and make sure TCP is chosen.
- Enter the right Port for your QuickBooks Desktop version.
- QuickBooks 2019 has a port number of 8019, QuickBooks 2018 has a port number of 56728, 55378-55382, and QuickBooks 2017 has a port number of 56276, 55368-55372.
- Select Allow Connection and then press Next.
- Checkmark the boxes next to all of the profiles listed in the pop-up.
- Click Next and name this new rule.
- Finish by repeating the previous steps to configure the Outbound rules.
Solution 5: Reset update settings
- The first step is to select the option of Update Now.
- Now, choose the Reset Update option.
- Click on the Get Updates option, and if the replacement fails, follow these steps:
- Select the option to Restore Advanced Settings.
- Search for TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2.
- Check that you selected the option of Use TLS 1.0 and that others are unchecked.
Solution 6: Upgrade the Installed Chrome Browser
There is another option to resolve this system error 12002 QuickBooks, is to upgrade the Google Chrome browser. However, you will see the QuickBooks Update error 12002 if you don’t have updated chrome browser. As a result, the following procedures need to be taken to upgrade the browser:
- To begin, launch the Chrome browser.
- Then, in the upper right, select the More option.
- After that, select the Upgrade Google Chrome tab.
- Wait until the browser is updating.
- When the procedure is finished, you must click Relaunch.
Please note that if you cannot find the Update option, you are running the most recent Chrome version.
Solution 7: Steps to Install/Uninstall the QBs in the Mode of Selective Startup
We hope you’ve already taken up a backup of your company data. Keep your QBs Desktop license & product information in front of you before beginning the steps to rectify the windows error code 12002, which is below-mentioned.
Step 1: Enable the Mode of Selective Startup on your system
We recommend that you choose a mode of Selective startup to prevent any other apps from interfering with the fixing procedure. Although, if you don’t feel confident or comfortable in taking out the processes as described, you are required to connect with a Windows specialist at any moment before or during the process.
- To open the dialog box of the Run command, press the Windows and R buttons on your keyboard.
- Enter MSConfig and press OK.
- Then, under the General tab, choose Selective startup & Load the system services.
- Choose “Hide all MS Services” after clicking on the Services tab.
- Now, choose Disable all.
- Then, uncheck the option labeled Hide all MS services.
- However, Select the checkbox of Windows Installer from the services list & click ok.
- On the System Configuration window, click Restart.
Step 2: Update or Remove the QB desktop
You must clean and install QBs Desktop when your system loads up.
Step 3: Return to the Normal start-up mode
After you’ve removed and reinstalled QuickBooks, return your machine to its default settings.
- To open the dialog box of the Run command, press the Windows + R together on your keyboard.
- Enter MSConfig and press the OK button.
- Pick Normal startup by going to the General tab If it is not chosen.
- Thereafter, press the OK button.
- On the System Configuration window, click Restart.
To summarize, the procedures outlined above may aid you in resolving QuickBooks error 12002. Although, we tried to compile it in a very concise way and easy to read. We hope that this article is very informative & useful. If the issue or error is not resolved or persists, you can connect with the relevant technical team for additional support.