QuickBooks allows users to operate company files in multi-user mode. However, users often come across QuickBooks H series errors including the QuickBooks Error H101. This error usually emerges when users try to use a company file located on another system.
Since the multi-user mode increases productivity and accuracy, this multi-user mode error must be addressed quickly. This article will help users to understand the H101 error, reasons for its emergence as well as proven methods to resolve it. So, let’s begin.
What is QuickBooks Error H101?
As per Intuit, the QuickBooks H101 error indicates that there is a technical issue that prevents users from accessing company files on another system.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error Code H101
The QuickBooks Error H101 generally occurs due to improper configuration. However, there are several other factors that lead to this error.
Since understanding the reasons for this error will help users to adopt precautionary steps, check them below:
- Improper setup of Network (.ND) file.
- Problems in locating the IP address.
- Corrupt company file configuration.
- Incorrect QuickBooks installation.
- Disabled QuickBooks services.
- Restrictive Firewall settings.
- QuickBooks DNS conflict.
- Incorrect Host settings.
6 Effective Fixes for QuickBooks Error H101
As the reasons causing the error code h101 are clear, users should apply the below-mentioned methods to fix the error permanently.
Furthermore, it is recommended that users disable the antivirus and then apply these fixes consecutively.
Method 1: Confirm QuickBooks Services
An inactive QuickBooks service prevents QuickBooks to operate normally and causes the H101 error. Hence, users must confirm if their QuickBooks services are active or not using these steps:
- First, press “Windows” and “R”.
- Then, include “Services.msc” as text.
- Next, click “Ok” then locate “QuickBooksDBXX”.
- Thereafter, Double-tap on it.
- Now, choose “Startup-Type”.
- Finally, select “Automatic” and ensure the status as “Running”.
Note: In case the status displays “Inactive”, you need to reset services by these steps:
- First, under the “Service Status”, click “Start”.
- Next, apply “Restart-Service” for these:
- – First Failure
- – Second Failure
- – Subsequent Failure
- Now, tap “Apply” as well as “Ok”.
- Finally, apply the same to “QBCFMonitorService”.
Method 2: Verify your Hosting
As QuickBooks H101 error is related to hosting services, it is important to verify the hosting. Here’s how:
- To begin with, ensure to start all the “Host” systems.
- Thereafter, launch “QuickBooks-Desktop” on each of them.
- Then, move your cursor to the “File” menu and select “Utilities”.
- Next, choose “Stop-Multi-User” (if it appears).
- Now, click “Company” and select “File-must-be closed”.
- Finally, tap “Yes” and to verify the hosting successfully.
Method 3: Configure your Host file
After verifying the hosting, if users still experience the QuickBooks Error H101 then configuring the host file is needed. Follow these steps:
- Initially, hold “Windows” with “R” and the command box will start.
- Thereafter, start typing “Cmd” and click “Ok”.
- Then, the command prompt will be launched.
- Next, input “IPconfig/all” and press “Enter”.
- Finally, the screen will show “IP and Hostname”, write it down.
Now, users need to configure Windows Host File. Here’s how:
- First, close “QuickBooks” then start “My-Computer”.
- Next, visit “C: Drive” to launch the following folders:
- – Windows.
- – System32.
- – Drivers.
- – Etc.
- Once there, visit “View”.
- Next, click “Hidden-Items”.
- Then, right-tap your host file.
- Now, choose “Open with” and opt for “Notepad”.
- Finally, enter the “IP” and “Hostname” provided earlier then tap “Save”.
This will configure the hosting correctly. Now, try to access your company file in multi-user mode and the H101 error won’t occur. However, if it does, the company file is corrupt.
Method 4: Relocating the Company File
The company file can become corrupt due to several reasons resulting in QuickBooks Error H101. Fortunately, users can fix the company file by QuickBooks File Doctor or relocating it to a new folder. Here’s how:
- To begin, go to the destination of your company file.
- Then, right-tap the company file and click “Copy”.
- Next, start “My-Computer” and access “C: Drive”.
- After that, right-click anywhere and opt for “New”.
- Now, choose “Create-Folder” and name it appropriately.
- Finally, open it and press “Ctrl” plus “V” at once.
Now that your company file is free from corruption, configure your Windows Firewall and ensure verify the multi-user H101 error.
Method 5: Configure Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall prevents harmful programs from affecting the system. However, if it’s misconfigured, it causes the QuickBooks multi-user mode stops issue and shows the H101 error.
Hence, users must configure Windows Firewall ports and make QuickBooks trusted for Firewall. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Make QuickBooks an Allowed Program in Firewall
Adding QuickBooks under the allowed program in the Windows firewall will allow the program to operate fully. Here’s how:
- First, hold “Windows” and “R”.
- Then, type “Control Panel”.
- Next, click “Ok” to reach “Firewall-Settings”.
- Now, visit “Allow-Programs”.
- After that, add “QuickBooks”.
- Finally, save changes then restart your PC.
Step 2: Confirm QuickBooks Port
After adding QuickBooks in allowed programs, confirm your QuickBooks port using these steps:
- To begin, launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Next, select “Port Monitor”.
- Also, find your QuickBooks version.
- Finally, write down the “Port Number”.
Step 3: Configure Firewall Ports
The final step for configuring the Windows Firewall is to configure ports. Here’s how:
- First, access the command box using “Windows” + “R”.
- Thereafter, enter “Control Panel” as text and click “Ok”.
- Then, access “System-Security”.
- Next, click “Windows Firewall/Defender”.
- From there, click “Advanced-Settings”.
- After that, click “Inbound-Rule”.
- Then, select “New-Rule” and hit “Port”.
- Now, click “Next” and checkmark “TCP”
- Finally, enter your port number.
This will configure your firewall to trust QuickBooks and you won’t experience the QuickBooks H101 error anymore.
Method 6: Access the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
If the above methods fail to resolve the H101 error for you, you might be having some server issues. The QuickBooks Database server manager can fix network-related errors that cause the H series errors. Follow these steps:
- To begin with, download QuickBooks Tool Hub on your server.
- Thereafter, finish its installation and launch it.
- After that, visit “Network-Issues”.
- Then, run QuickBooks Database Server”.
- Next, “Browse” the troubled file.
- Now, perform “Start-Scan”.
- Finally, reboot your system.
We hope, the above methods helped users clean up QuickBooks error H101 from their systems and allowed them to access their company files in multi-user mode.
Furthermore, the content offered to you is well-sourced and all the methods are tested by our experts and effective in fixing the H101 error.