QuickBooks without any skepticism is impeccable accounting software that has ultimate capabilities. Even with such high dynamic caliber, like every other great tool it also has some inevitable errors. Such an error is the QuickBooks error the file exists. This error is quite famous because many users have come across this error.
This error can show up in situations like downloading the payroll, payment of liabilities, opening government-related forms. Well, this can be a very frustrating error because your work is interrupted incessantly by this ridiculous error. It usually comes with an error message stating QuickBooks windows error the file exists.
No need for panic though. Not till we are here. We the QB error team will surely help in figuring out a way to swiftly pass this tunnel. You will have a complete understanding of the QuickBooks the windows error was the file exists, after reading this entire article. Plus a bunch of solutions that will demolish the issue you are facing. So, without further ado let’s hop into the matter.
QuickBooks error The file exists explained
As we have discussed the QuickBooks The file exists is an error that occurs while updating the payroll, paying the scheduled liabilities, or when opening a state or federal form. You can easily recognize the error as it comes with an error message which indicates the presence of the error.
This error can be caused by a number of reasons, let’s head on to see what they are.
What causes the QuickBooks error The file exists?
As it is a standard error that comes up on the QuickBooks Desktop software, there can be multiple reasons for this error’s presence. Here are them one by one.
- The error The file exists can occur due to weak internet connectivity.
- Another reason could be unconfigured or improper firewall settings.
- The fault in the internet settings can also cause this particular error.
- If your QuickBooks software is not updated to the latest version then also this error can be experienced.
- Sometimes Windows User Account Control can cause chaos for the QuickBooks Desktop software. This can be one of the reasons for the occurrence of this error.
- If you don’t have the admin rights of your system or workplace, then also you can have trouble with this error.
- If you did not install the QuickBooks software properly – you may have to encounter this error.
How to resolve the QuickBooks error The file exists?
The QuickBooks error message the file exists can be solved using the below-mentioned methods. It is important to note that you should keep a backup of your QuickBooks data in order to avoid any data loss. Also, you have to follow each step carefully and perform the methods until your problem is resolved. So, no it’s time for us to kick out this error from your device.
Solution 1: Turning off the Windows User Account Control
- Initially, you have to open your Windows settings.
- You will see the option of UAC, you have to click on that.
- If the UAC attribute is turned on, you have to turn it off.
- Finally, reboot your computer.
Solution 2: Update QuickBooks Desktop
When you update your QuickBooks software then half of the problems are fixed. This is because each update contains a bug fix and this will eventually lead to rectifying the error you are facing.
- Firstly, you need to open your QB desktop software. Open the Help tab and click on the product information.
- A list will appear, you have to select the correct year and version from the drop-down list.
- Now, you have to press search and then select Get the Latest Updates.
- You have to save the files on your computer. Note that you have to save them in such a place where you can find them easily.
- After the download is complete, you have to install the file properly. Just simply follow the instructional window for installation.
- When the installation is final. You have to reboot your system.
Solution 3: Again registering the . DLL and.OCX files using reboot.bat file
To re-register these files, you will have to follow these steps.
- First of all, shut down all the QuickBooks company files and application windows.
- The next step is to right-click on the QB desktop icon and select the properties option.
- You now have to click on the open file location. This is where the reboot.bat file is situated.
- Now find the folder and run it as an administrator.
- You will see that the command window will quickly open and then suddenly close.
- Finally, you have to reboot your system.
Solution 4: Attaining full control access
- To do this you have to right-click on the desktop icon of QuickBooks.
- Open the file location and then you have to delete the entire file address.
- Now, you have to right-click on the QuickBooks folder and then select properties.
- Navigate to the security options and then select the edit option. You have to click on add and later on everyone.
- Click on OK. Choose the Full Control tab and click on Apply.
After the completion of this process, you have to reboot your computer.
Solution 5: Resolve the file exists error during the printing of forms issue
- Open your control panel.
- Select the option of Devices and Printers.
- From the list, you have to remove the printer on which you are having trouble.
- Use the CTRL + ALT + DEL key shortcut to open the task manager.
- In the process tab, you have to right-click on QBW32.exe
- Now, you have to end the process and then click on Yes.
- Navigate to C drive > Program Data > Intuit > QuickBooks
- You have to find and delete the folder named QBPRINT.qbp
- Finally, reboot your system.
So, these were the solutions to the error you were facing. hopefully, we could help you out in solving this issue. Do check out our other QuickBooks related articles such as QuickBooks has stopped working error.
Also, if you are still facing this issue, it is recommended that you contact the customer support team of QuickBooks. they will surely help you out in resolving this error.